News, Updates, Changes, and Schedules
SchedulesDelivery of U.S. Postal Service (USPS) incoming mail and intercampus mail:
- USPS and Intercampus mail will be delivered according to a published schedule of odd & even dates.
- Mail exchanges (delivery/pick up) in buildings are made according to a published schedule.
- Exceptions: Large volumes of mail on Monday mornings and days following holidays may not be sorted in time for same day delivery and/or delivery may run behind schedule.
- All outgoing USPS mail received by Mail Services prior to 3:30 p.m. will be processed and dispatch to USPS at 4:30 p.m. that day with the exception of standard-class bulk mail.
- All outgoing mail for vendors other than USPS must be received by Mail Services at least 30 minutes prior to vendor collection. (Call Mail Processing, 2-9970, to get information about schedules.)
- All UPS material must be received by Mail Services by 3 p.m. to go out same day.
Mail Collection and Delivery
UNL Mail Services...handles more than 25,000 pieces of mail each working day. Mail Services personnel exchange mail at one location per building according to schedule of odd and even dates. If you have delivery/pick up questions, please call Mail Collection & Delivery, 402-472-2533.
We Collect and Deliver...
- On Campus & Off Campus Mail
- Inter-Campus Mail
(in mail room before 8:00 a.m.)
- Courier Mail
- UNO mail
- UNMC mail
- State Office "Interagency Mail"
Call Mail Collection & Delivery, 402-472-2533, for special pick up of large volumes of mail or heavy parcels. Notify Mail Services as soon as possible as we prepare equipment according to need.
Building Mail Exchange
Mail is exchanged in each building according to a published schedule. Your building schedule is available by calling 402-472-2533. Please pick up your incoming mail prior to our next delivery or it will be carried back to Mail Services.
Separate and bundle (rubberband) each department 4-digit ZIP code into the following categories of mail to assure prompt handling, processing, and postage discounts:
- All outgoing letter-size mail.
- Outgoing mail flats (larger than letter size).
- Foreign mail or mail requiring special services, e.g., registered, certified, expedited.
- Campus mail (letter size).
- Campus flats (larger than letter size).
Department Moves: Notify us at 402-472-2533 of departmental moves as soon as possible as the move may require route and schedule changes and/or adjustment of building mail exchange boxes.
When tracking packages on a carrier web site (ex: USPS), the status of "Delivered" does not mean the item is within UNL Mail Services. Delivery scans can be two or three days prior to our facility receiving a particular item.If you have concerns, contact the mailroom. We are happy to track any item using the correct tracking number. We can utilize carrier tracking and also internal tracking.
Order by Requisition
- Postage Stamps
- Business Reply
Supply Requests (No Charge)
- Postage Billing Records
- Rubber Bands
- Mail Trays and Tubs
- Shipping Supplies for USPS, UPS and FedEx:
University Services is expanding our recycling efforts. Please return all toner cartridges to Mail Services*.
Contact Karen Ouellette at 402-472-2533 with any questions.
*Small cartridges to Mail Services, large cartridges to University Stores (in original packaging).
Reduce and ReuseMake an effort when possible to save and reuse shipping and mailing materials like manilla envelopes and packing peanuts.
Mail Processing: On-Campus Mail Preparation
Addressing Campus Mail
Use the addressee's name and the departmental name, address, and campus zip code.
The use and reuse of manila envelopes for campus mail is encouraged but not required. Be sure when reusing manila envelopes that the previous addresses on the front and back of the envelopes are obliterated so there is no question as to whom the envelope is to be delivered.
Campus mail should be banded separately from USPS outgoing mail in your mail delivery/pick up box.
Campus mail service via courier is available daily to UNO, UNMC and most state agencies. Please use manila envelopes with your return address and mark clearly "UNO Courier", "UNMC Courier" or "Interagency Mail". The Omaha courier exchanges mail with Mail Services at 8 a.m. Mail to most state agencies, the Governor, and the Nebraska Legislature is exchanged by Mail Services with the State Office Building at 9 a.m.
Mail delivered by courier exchange to the Statehouse/state office building interagency mail, including the Governor and Unicameral Senators, requires a complete return address and will not be accepted by the receiving state office if the return address is missing.
Included in On-Campus Delivery:
- STATE "Interagency Mail"
- UN Foundation
- NE Press
- Center on Children, Families and the Law
- Juvenile Justice
- Center for Public Policy
- University of Nebraska High School
- Center for Great Plains Studies
- Online Worldwide
- University Communications
- Western Association Literature and Journal
- College of Nursing
- Greater Nebraska Extensions- keep separated
(Boxes are charged separately)
- - Kearney, Concord, Curtis, Clay Center, Grand Island,
Ithica, Norfolk, North Platte, and Scottsbluff
- - Kearney, Concord, Curtis, Clay Center, Grand Island,
Mail Processing: Outgoing USPS Service
All outgoing mail must have a University return address including the University's name, department division, department name, department address, department P.O. box number, city, state, and department ZIP+4:
University of Nebraska-Lincoln (must be top line)
Mail & Distribution Services
1100 No 17th St
P.O. Box 880699
Lincoln, NE 68588-0699
Outgoing mail which has a personal return address or which is not official University business mail will NOT be processed through Mail Services. This mail will be returned to sender.
(Fraternities and Sororities are included in off-campus mail.)
As a result of mail classification reform initiated by the USPS, there are regulations that determine how mailing addresses must/should be prepared.
- Address must be typed or computer generated (no handwritten addresses).
- Address must be complete with a city, state, and 5-digit ZIP code.
- Address must be 10 to 12-point type, letters not touching, and preferably sans serif (no feet on letters).
- Address should use standard USPS abbreviations. (Publication 28, Postal Addressing Standards)
First-Class Mail Metering
Mail Services equipment will meter and seal envelopes in one operation. Do not fold down the glued flap on the envelope, instead, leave the flap up. The department must seal all envelopes with flaps on end.
Flat mail (larger than letter size). Mark directly to left of delivery address the classification, e.g., first-class, standard-class, UPS. If you do not mark the classification, Mail Services will meter at lowest cost.
Thick envelopes (over 3/16") often jam metering equipment. Also, do not put paper clips, pens, pins or any other objects in envelopes; instead please use manila envelopes for items other than paper.
Check with Mail Services about pre-metering envelopes with items over 3/16" thickness.
Business Reply Mail Envelopes
Business reply envelopes are available for purchase from Mail Services. These envelopes qualify for discount rates on postage and are immediately available. These envelopes have UNL return address, but can be identified for delivery/billing purposes by inserting a 4-digit departmental code in the upper left-hand corner of the envelope. Call 2-2533 with questions or to place an order for envelopes. Please limit your request to 1,000 or less envelopes.
Mail and parcels for delivery in a foreign country must include name of addressee, street address or box number, city, province, and country.
- The name of the country needs to be written in English without abbreviation.
- Must be in an envelope (no self-mailers).
See UPS C.O.D.
Mail Processing: Outgoing UPS, FedEx, Etc.
USPS Express Mail, UPS and FedEx. Call 2-9970 for schedules, supplies and information. Evaluate the need for overnight or two-day delivery service as the cost of two-day service is greatly reduced. USPS Priority Mail is also an option but provides no delivery date guarantee.
- Mark the envelope "Expedited Services" if you want Mail Services to determine which service is least expensive yet provides adequate overnight service, OR mark the envelope with the name of the vendor you have selected.
- Mark the envelope to indicating as to whether you want overnight, second business day delivery or Priority Mail (USPS).
- Fill out the bill completely, ESPECIALLY the 4-digit campus ZIP code and the name/department of the sender which will allow us to properly re-bill the cost of delivery.
- Remember no vendor other than USPS can deliver to a post office box.
- Remember vendors other than USPS Express Mail may have additional charges for Saturday delivery or may have no Saturday service.
When preparing registered, certified, and insured mail, call Mail Services for regulation and preparation information. Please remember that registered mail:
- Must have return address and mailing address written directly on package. (self-sticking tapes will not accept inked date stamp)
- Cannot use padded envelopes (Jiffy Pac).
- Includes insurance.
- All seams on envelope or package must be sealed with gummed tape, as they are date stamped by USPS for security.
- Must be signed for each time it changes hands; remains under lock and key in route.
- Ask for return receipt (if needed).
- Delivery will generally be delayed due to special handling.
If you need to mail COD, the only service currently available from Mail Services is UPS COD.
Mail Processing: Outgoing Requirements
|Non Profit Bulk Mail Requirements:|
|Certified Mail Requirements:|
|Registered Mail Requirements:|
|International Mail Requirements:|
|Stamped Mail Requirements:|
Mailing List Management: Off-Campus Lists
...the use of our mail management software to UNL departments without charge. There are charges, however, for running mailing labels, spraying direct impression addresses on mail pieces, and providing USPS software documentation verifying the quality and make-up of a mailing. These charges will always be less than the postage discounts realized by using our software.
Mail Services mail list management software provides your department with the following services:
- Address list hygiene (capitalization, removal of punctuation, proper abbreviations).
- Address lookup and matching (against national ZIP code data base for correct ZIP code plus 4 add-ons, providing accurate delivery point barcodes which will be required for automation/discount mailing. The 11-digit barcode is the only barcode accepted by the USPS).
- Removal of duplicate records (if consistent information is used).
Processing Mail Lists
The processing of mail lists by Mail Services software will automatically provide list hygiene, address lookup and matching (and, at your request, a listing of bad addresses for you to evaluate), and removal of duplicate records.
Our CASS certified software will incorporate Delivery Point Validation (DPV) and LACS (LINK) as a standard process. DPV will confirm whether or not a given address is an actual delivery stop on a carrier's route. If an address is valid, a full 9-digit zip code will be assigned and the address will qualify for barcoding discounts. If the address is not valid, the address will be flagged as "non qualifying," and will not be mailed. LACS (LINK) will allow mailers to identify an address that has been converted by a municipality to correspond with 911 emergency services. For example, RR & Box addresses will be converted to a physically locatable address. LACS (LINK) will provide this new address update information to insure mail delivery. Corrected address information can be furnished to the mailer upon request for a nominal fee.
Address Label Production
This software processing of mail lists can also produce mail "labels" in a variety of label formats, all of which can be accomplished in Mail Services.
- Direct impression ink jet (address printed directly on the mail piece). In house equipment is available for both small mailing lists (up to 5,000 names) and large mailing lists (up to and including those over 100,000 names). Cost: $40.00 equipment set up fee and $0.029 to $0.039 per address.
- Stick-on labels (one-up). Cost: $0.039 per label ($19.50 minimum)
- 2x4 labels 0.05
- 3x5 labels 0.15
Specifications and Requirements for Processing Departmental Mail Lists
Mailing List Management: On-Campus Lists
Official On-Campus Lists
Departments wanting to mail information on campus using the official University mail lists may do so by providing the following information to Mail Services.
- If the material to be mailed is printed in Printing and Copy Services, you will need to request that the finished printed material be delivered directly to Mail Processing, 1100 N. 17th Street, on your requisition to printing.
- If the material to be mailed is coming directly from your department or an outside printer, please deliver it to Mail Processing, 1100 N. 17th Street. Send a requisition (by mail or fax) requesting specific mail list(s) (see listing at right) along with the name of the printed material to Mail Processing, 1100 N. 17th Street, fax number 2-7051.
Specifications and Requirements for Processing Departmental Mail Lists
Available Official Lists for use by UNL Departments Include:
|1||Vice Chancellors, Deans, & Department Heads|
|445||PLEASE POST LIST|
UNL mails over six million pieces of nonprofit bulk mail every year. There are a number of requirements related to nonprofit bulk mailing. While you are still in the planning stage include the Mail List Management, 2-7330, in your mailing arrangements. Mail Services can be of assistance to you to ensure your mailing program is cost effective, efficient and timely. Some important aspects of mailing nonprofit bulk include the following:
- Permit 46 is a permit to mail classification is determined by the description in the indicia copy block. It is very important that the proper copy be printed on each mailing piece as it explains the type of service you want and the postage rate you are paying (e.g., nonprofit bulk or first-class).
- If you are mailing fewer than 5,000 pieces, you can either have the indicia printed on the piece OR have Mail Services meter the mailing at the nonprofit bulk rate. If you are mailing over 5,000 pieces, the indicia must be printed. If you have Permit 46 printed on all pieces, the permit must be obliterated on all copies handed out (not mailed). The indicia must be covered up with an adhesive label to mail fewer than 500 copies first-class mail (not a part of a bulk mailing).
- If you have a bulk mailing prepared by an outside printer (not Printing Services), you must receive clearance from Mailing Services to use the permit indicia as only paperwork signed by Mail Services employees is accepted by USPS.
- Be certain the material you want to mail nonprofit bulk is your own material and is not being produced or cooperatively sponsored by a for profit organization. If you mail cooperatively with for profit, you have to pay the commercial bulk rate (a higher rate). Mail Services can and will meter mail and bill your department at the commercial rate or the nonprofit rate, which ever is appropriate to the type of material being mailed.
- If you are planning a joint mailing with another nonprofit organization (e.g., a scholarly organization), that organization must be on file as nonprofit and have paid a mailing fee at the Lincoln Post Office. Otherwise, you must mail at the commercial bulk rate.
- All bulk mailings (nonprofit or commercial) must have a complete University address on the outside of the mailing piece in the upper left-hand corner. The USPS verifies bulk mailings; failure to list a complete University return address will mean the mailing will be returned to sender for correction and valuable distribution time will be lost.
- You must do the initial preparation for bulk mailing before sending it to Mailing Services. That preparation includes:
- Send a properly formatted diskette of you mail list to Mail Processing, 1100 No 17th Street, or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 200 pieces or 50 pounds of printed or duplicated identical material.
- Addresses have a 5-digit ZIP code.
- Folded edge of your mail piece on the bottom.
- Trim edge of your mail piece (the edge opposite the fold) is tabbed or taped, NO STAPLES.
- Twenty-five samples of the exact mail piece are needed to determine weight and packaging according to new USPS classification requirements. Your samples will be returned.
Mail & Distribution Servicesl • 1100 N 17th St
Lincoln, NE 68588-0699
(click to view map)
p • 402.472.9970
f • 402.472.7051
Collection & Deliveryh • Monday - Friday:
6:00 am - 2:30 pm
Mail Processingh • Monday - Friday:
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Mail List Managementh • Monday - Friday:
7:30 am - 4:30 pm
Ken ReiningManager of Mail & Distribution,
Bindery & Promotional Sales
p • 402.472.7029
e • email@example.com
Connie RohloffMail Processing Supervisor
p • 402.472.7535
e • firstname.lastname@example.org
Karen OuelletteMail Route Supervisor
p • 402.472.2533
e • email@example.com